LA CARNEGIE LIBRARY
On May 15 1923
Construction on the market was started in 1891 and completed on July 2, 1894
CATHEDRAL OF IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
This massive church begun in 1894 by Fr. Tapon on the site of previous churches and was designed by Fr. Scoles, a Priest from Demerara. It was complete in 1897 and solemnly consecrated by Archbishop Dowling in 1931. It became a cathedral, when bishop Gachet was consecrated in 1957, and Castries Diocese was established.
Serenity Park- formerly known as Lion Park was opened on May 15th, 2011 by the Governor General Dame Pearlette Louisy and Former Prime Minister Stephenson King. The name of the park was submitted by students of the R.C. Boys Infant School which was winner of a competition. The public park is located next to the Sans Souci Bridge in Castries.
The park was named after St. Lucia-born war hero, Jean Baptiste Bideau. Born in 1780 in Desruisseaux, he was a great liberator and sea-captain who lived through three major revolutions: the American War of Independence, French Revolution and Latin American War of Independence.
Until 1794, Bideau lived mainly in Saint Lucia before leaving the island to serve for the next four years as a corsair (privateer) in the French Revolutionary Government. Bideau was Captain of the Cinciannatus. He lived in Trinidad from 1798 to 181. From 1811 through 1817 he was involved in the Wars of Independence of Latin America fighting alongside Venezuelan Liberator Simon Bolivar. He is also remembered for saving the life of Simon Bolivar. He was killed in battle on April 7, 1817
DEREK WALCOTT SQUARE
Derek Walcott Square (formerly Columbus Square) is a public square and park. The square is bounded by Bourbon, Brazil, Laborie and Micoud Streets. The square was previously named Place d'Armes and Promenade Square. It was named Columbus Square in 1892. In 1993, it was named Derek Walcott Square after Nobel Laureate Derek Walcott.
GEORGE V PARK
Commonly referred to as the gardens, the George V Park was home to one of the most revered Botanical Gardens in the entire world. Named after a British King of the early 1900's, the gardens are a popular place for a walk in the middle of the day. The park is also home to the bust of Charles Eugene de La Croix, Marquis de Castries, who Castries City was named after. Marquis of Castries heavily involved in shaping the friendship between France and Saint Lucia.
When Charles Eugene de La Croix arrived in the Caribbean for the first time in 1756, he was part of the expeditionary corps which the French had sent into the region to contest control of the Antilles by the English. As admiral and commander, he very quickly understood that Saint Lucia, with its central position, its rich land and its exceptionally safe and deep harbour was of significant importance and hence did everything to ensure it remained a French territory.
The creation of Walcott Place is ambitious and grand. Walcott Place proposes to create a physical space to celebrate Roderick and Derek Walcott’s achievements, and to be a source of inspiration and education. It shall be the focal point for our acknowledgement of the enormity of their contribution to the arts.
The Walcott Place project restores the Walcotts’ childhood home located on Chaussee Road in Castries. It is the first phase of a project to convert it, along with adjoining spaces acquired by the Government of Saint Lucia, into a museum of the brothers’ works, with studio space for art and writing workshops and a theatre.